2013-03-14

Personal Narrative: My first volunteer work


                        Sitting on a bus, I stare absentmindedly at the dim sunlight from the horizon. The sunlight seemed to brighten the world, but looking around I find gloomy dark forests still shadowed by the glimmering mountain peaks. The driver in charge of taking us to the hospital in Gyunggi Province made a sudden stop to wake us. Fading sound of ambulance siren signaled yet another busy and lively day at the hospital.
                           It was my first day of volunteering at the Yangju hospital. As I took my first step towards the entrance, the pungent smell that penetrated through my nostrils seemed to greet me. Although there were quite a lot of volunteers, they were reluctant to take care of the patient I met, who was suffering from chronic mental disease. He had the ability to walk properly with his two feet, grab things with two hands and every parts of his body seemed to be no different from ‘ordinary’ men except for his unnatural way of speaking and behaviors.
                           I was given an entire week to stay aside the patient. He was an inquisitive young man and on the first day, it seemed like I was harassed by him with innumerous questions, especially about the ‘outer world’ where he cannot reach despite his ebullient desire. Every day, he cajoled to take a walk along the mountain located near the building and I was almost forced to be a part of his ‘adventure’. He wandered through forests and mountains and zealously looked for odd-shaped stones and kept them as if they were his precious properties. After trying to catch up with his enthusiastic movements, I was enervated by the end of the day but the exceeding feeling of satisfaction fulfilled my mind.
                          The image of the mentally challenged patient overlaps the shadowed forest. Both of them were isolated and neglected by the majority just because they have difference with the others. Living in the hospital, I was given an opportunity to watch people anguishing from serious illness. Although minority of them seemed vapid all the time most of the patients carried smile on their face and tranquil happiness slowly soaked my mind.
                    Back at home, I was again busy with finishing delayed tasks and schedules. The memory of the patient floats back at the sight of a picture of gloomy-looking forest from biology textbook. Maybe not many had recognized yet, but the mentally challenged patient had talents in art and creating sculptures with ‘odd-shaped stones’. Certain change in people’s attitude toward appreciating and accepting diversity does not occur in a blink of an eye. Nevertheless I patiently wait with great desire and always strive my best to process its steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment